Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Sour Dough Mk II

The Mk II version of my sour dough bread looks much better than the Mk I.  I didn't add extra water than recommended to the dough and left it quite dry.  It rose beautifully overnight and I used a bread tin to bake it in.  I also baked it at a higher temperature and for ten minutes longer.  Plus, I put a bowl of water in the oven to provide a more moist environment.  It did split along one end but I think that was caused by the way I'd folded it.  Next week I'll try another technique for the proving that is used at River Cottage.
I spent another morning in my vegetable garden.  The weather was lovely, even better than yesterday as there was no wind.  A robin joined us for a few minutes, he found a few insects in the soil we'd turned over.  I put the manure and some pelleted chicken manure onto the new bed, cleared the big raised bed and marked out another bed ready for making tomorrow.  I've covered the new bed with the black plastic, for two reasons really, to suppress weeds and to also stop the foxes digging holes in it.  I did notice that a fox has started to dig a tunnel under our garage!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Ann, it sounds as if you are really getting 'dug in' to the garden. I hate windy days too and find it easier to work on calm days.We are supposed to have some rain later today or early tomorrow, believe it or not it is badly needed!

melissa sews said...

This loaf did rise better! I'm glad you posted this... I'd almost forgotten my starter that sits in the back of my refrigerator. I definitely need to make another loaf or two of this bread. It freezes well. :) Melissa