Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Thursday 1 October 2009

More Cupcakes


We got home yesterday after spending ten days in Norfolk, we had beautiful weather and enjoyed the break at the seaside.  While I was there I visited a little craft village at Taverham.  At a shop called The Kitchenary I bought some bigger piping nozzles for my attempts at decorating cupcakes.  Above is my latest trial.  This time I tried the Rolo Cupcakes from here .  I made the cakes from the recipe on the afore mentioned blog but used the butter cream recipe from the latest Sainsbury's magazine because I wanted to try a butter cream icing that had cream cheese in it and it worked out very nice.  The Rolo Cupcakes themselves were a bit disappointing, this is probably my fault not the original blogger's.  The problem I had was that the Rolo melted through and stuck to the bottom of the paper case so there was no Rolo in the middle.  Also, the cake itself was a bit dry, it wasn't as fluffy as the cake in my last recipe.  I know that adding coco tends to do this to the cake mix.  Overall it was a very tasty cupcake, I think I'm being a bit too fussy.  My decorating looks a bit better too but I think this is down to the flakes of chocolate hiding the untidy bits.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they look very pretty Ann and it's great that you share your ups and downs since we can't actually have a taste ourselves. I'd still try one ;o)

Berit said...

The icing looks beautiful--I don't think sprinkles could hide that many flaws. :D I do love cream cheese icing...Y. U. M.

Nita said...

mmmmm - chocolate! with cream cheese icing! and I haven't even had breakfast yet - lol!
They look scrumptious.