Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Tuesday 15 June 2010

A Matter of Taste

I have wondered recently if my sense of taste was disappearing, particularly when I eat vegetables.  On Sunday I managed to collect enough veg from my plot to give us a small portion each.  That's when I realised that it's not my sense of taste, it's the commercially grown vegetables that I eat most of the year.  Carrots usually taste of nothing but I eat them anyway - but - when I tasted my home grown ones the memory of what carrots should taste like came flooding back.  They were delicious, full of flavour.

It's years since I tried to grow carrots, I never had any success with them.  This year, because I now have my raised beds, I decided to try them again.  These carrots are the best I've ever grown, wish I'd sown a few more now.  The mange tout are tender and tasty, the courgettes taste like courgettes and the broccoli has flavour.  Even though I only grow enough veg to use during the summer months it is worth it.  Worth it for the taste and worth it for the enjoyment I get tending my veg plot.

This is a coconut cake that I made today.  So what, you might say.  Well, what makes it unusual for me is that as well as using desiccated coconut it contains coconut cream.  I have only ever used coconut cream in curries before now but the recipe for this cake included coconut cream in the cake and in the icing.  I'm not sure if it makes much difference to the taste but the texture of this cake is very nice.  My recipe book tends to overdo it on the icing so in future I think I'll only make half the quantity, I told myself this before but I must stick to my decision next time.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Ann, You have a great harvest this early?!I know what you mean about the taste of home grown veg, nothing compares to pulling it and cooking on the same day.If you only enjoy it in season does'nt really matter as that again is what growing your own is all about.

Shaheen said...

Your first carrot of the year - so early. Wow.

Melissa Price said...

Ann, that plate of veggies looks absolutely divine. And I know exactly what you mean. I am purposing to grow most of our produce from now on. There's nothing like picking, washing, and cooking your dinner all in the same day!

And I'd love to join you for a piece of that coconut cake, if that were possible. Coconut is a weakness of mine. I think I shall make some macaroons really soon. I hope all is well for you and Graham. : ) Melissa