Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Monday 23 June 2008

A Slow Start

I was very late this year getting to work on my veg plot. Usually I start my own seeds off in the greenhouse in about March or April but this year a few incidents put me off. I ended up buying small plants from the Garden Centre and at least I have some vegetables growing. The runner beans are doing ok but seem a bit scrawny, they are starting to flower though. The broad beans haven't done well at all, only about five of them survived.
This is the raised bed Graham built for me, I do much less gardening since I had my back problem so this raised bed is ideal for me. I only grow a small amount of any type of vegetable and in this bed there are peas, two sorts of cabbage, pak choi, lettuce, leeks and courgette. I've put those canes across that corner to protect the lettuce, we get a fox in the garden and he often has a walk around this raised bed - the little rascal!!!


1 comment:

Melissa Price said...

I am so jealous! I've always wanted a vegetable garden of my own. I've been bugging my husband to build a bed for veggies, but we never seem to get around to it. And now that I'm working again, we'll have to rely on our local farmers market for a while longer.