Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Friday 2 May 2014

A Raincoat

I've spent all of April messing around trying to make a blouse that fits.  It's been a struggle but I think I've cracked it and will get it made up during May.

In the meantime - I've been looking for a lightweight, showerproof coat and at last I've found one...
I don't usually go for coats with belts, they can make me look like a sack of potatoes but this one already has a bit of shaping so the belt ties nicely without too much bulk around the middle.  Full price it was £38, there was £10 off plus I got an extra 20% off by using a coupon, that meant I ended up only paying £22 - bargain.

I've also had to buy new shoes.  I hate buying shoes these days.  When I was a youngster my shoes were always nice feminine styles, these days they tend to be a bit clumpy looking and flat.  Do you remember a poem about shoes, I loved this poem as a child...

"Choosing Shoes"

by Frida Wolfe
New shoes, new shoes,
Red and pink and blue shoes.
Tell me, what would you choose,
If they'd let us buy?
Buckle shoes, bow shoes,
Pretty pointy-toe shoes,
Strappy, cappy low shoes;
Let's have some to try.
Bright shoes, white shoes,
Dandy-dance-by-night shoes,
Perhaps-a-little-tight shoes,
Like some? So would I.
BUT
Flat shoes, fat shoes,
Stump-along-like-that shoes,
Wipe-them-on-the-mat shoes,
That's the sort they'll buy.
I suppose it was wearing high heels that ended up giving me Morton's Neuroma .
These red shoes don't look too clumpy.  I got the bag from Oxfam for £2.99.  The bag doesn't match exactly but it's not bad.
The green shoes do look clumpy but they are comfortable...
The bag was from another charity shop and cost about £2.50, something like that anyway.  It was probably quite a cheap bag new but it goes nicely with my shoes so that is ok.  I also got a green scarf that goes quite well with these...
It was from Oxfam and cost £2.50, it's silk and probably quite old.
Here are two more bags I bought, one from another charity shop, cost £1.50...
It was probably cheap when new but I like the shape of it.
And this one from a Vintage Fair I went to...
It's faux snakeskin and cost £8, a bit more than my charity shop buys but still affordable.

2 comments:

tubby3pug said...

very cute rain coat

retro rover

Peggy said...

Hi Ann, you are still sewing, and making things which are complicated! I cannot wear anything tied in the middle either I have always just thought I was the wrong shape. I love the charity shop buys I have a browse quite often too, surprising what you can pick up sometimes if you go early in the day before everything gets pulled around and the best bargains snapped up!