Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Thursday 25 April 2013

Dressmaking

When I was 13 years old I made my first dress.  The school I was going to at the time (I went to several different schools, but that is another story) had a really good curriculum and sewing was one of the subjects.  Anyway, after making that first dress I rarely bought another one until a few years ago when fabric became more expensive than ready made clothing.  The only reason I will be returning to dressmaking now is because I will be able to come up with styles I like to wear instead of relying on what the shops dictate.  (Also was influenced by The Great British Sewing Bee)

So, I've bought myself a dressmakers dummy.  I would have loved one all those years ago but they were too expensive for me.  Here's the one I bought wearing a dress I bought last year...

 
I've got a huge stash of fabric, mostly for patchwork.  Looking through it I found some flannelette that would be great for pyjama trousers.  Then I looked through the few patterns I've got.  These were given to me a couple of years ago after I'd chucked out the huge pile I'd collected over the years - oh dear, typical, get rid of something and you'll need it.  Here's a picture of the flannelette and the pattern.  Notice that the pattern has never been used, I wonder how many patterns were bought and not used then thrown away.  Anyway, the pattern has trousers, blouse, jacket and skirt.  I'll be able to adapt all these for most of the clothes I want to make, saves me searching for the exact pattern that I can never find in shops...
 
We'll see how I get on.


No comments: