Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Saturday 11 June 2011

Strawberries

Earlier this year I transplanted my strawberry plants to a new bed.  There were quite a few runners to add to my collection too.  The raised bed they are now in is about two and a half feet high so the soil is nice and deep.  I used some dried chicken manure and blood, fish and bone fertilizer before I put the plants in and the position of this bed gets quite a lot of sunshine.  It paid off because there a lots of strawberries ripening.  These are the first ones to ripen....
And they are bigger than the plants produced last year.  I've got straw under the plants and fleece over them.  Before I put the fleece over them a blackbird pecked one of them and I wanted them for me!

The polytunnel is coming along well.  All the plants look healthy and haven't been battered down by the strong winds and heavy rain we've been getting.  In previous years I've lost plants that have been battered by the weather so it's lovely to see the ones in the polytunnel looking so good.


2 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Ann, the polytunnel will be such an added bonus for everything. Strawberries are great everywhere this year, nothing like the taste of your first ones to ripen!

Anonymous said...

Strawberries are gorgeous...now if I could just reach out and eat one! :)
So very happy the polytunnel is working so well!