Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Saturday 29 January 2011

Soup du Jour

My liquidiser broke a couple of weeks ago so it was imperative that I got another one.  I chose the Russell Hobbs one because of the glass jug.  My previous one was plastic and I think the hot soup I used it for caused the split in the collar near the blade.  Some days I plan to make soup and pre-soak any beans I might be using.  Some days I decide on the spur of the moment to make soup, that is when tins of beans come in handy.  I recently used black beans and I ended up with soup that was an interesting shade of purple!  Today I'm using borlotti beans...
This soup is very quick to make, onion; garlic, both roughly cut up; tin of beans; a squirt of tomato puree; a good glug of wine; pepper; and in this one, fish stock dissolved in about three quarters of a pint of hot water.  You can add any other veg you have on hand but for quickness these ingredients here are all you need.  Bring to the boil and simmer for about half an hour, let come off the boil then liquidise.  A very tasty, quick soup for two.  I can smell it now, ummmm, it amazes me how tasty bean soup is!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your soup sounds absolutely yummy Ann, do you make your own fish stock or can it be purchased at the grocery? Could chicken broth be used instead of fish stock? I know the taste would be different...but just in case I can't find fish stock. Any particular flavor of wine?

you can email me at: magnolia.moon.pie@gmail.com

Peggy said...

Hi Ann, that is a nutricious soup even if it is quick to make.I make soup on a whim but I no longer buy readymade or packet soups since I found out how easy it is to make fresh soup at home.
I bought one of those blenders which you put into the soup pot to blend instead of decanting into another container.
I will come back for the recipe as bean soup is a new one on me!

Melissa Price said...

Oooh! With beans, onions, and garlic, how can you go wrong? I enjoy bean soups, too. I rarely (if ever) bother with liquidizing though. We enjoy the texture of beans.