Sewing, stitching, baking, cooking, gardening, shopping and general homemaking.

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Gloves

I've really taken to this crochet lark!  In the early 1970s I did do a bit of crochet.  The first thing I made was a crochet doily in fine cotton.  This was in 1970 and I lived in Cyprus at the time.  My landlady lived in the house at the back of ours and her mother did the most gorgeous fine crochet.  She showed me how to crochet.  Then I made myself a waistcoat and a tank top.  I wish I lived there now, I would have appreciated living in Cyprus now that I'm older and wiser.  I was just thinking the other day, it's a pity I didn't have the same attitude I have now, my life would have been so different.  I suppose many of us think this.  Anyway, back to what I've been doing.  In my search for the style of fingerless glove pattern I wanted, I came across Ravelry.  You have to join but it is worth it and it is free.  There is so much inspiration and some free stuff.  There was a pattern that was just what I had in mind when I decided to try the gloves.  I have altered it slightly to suit the yarn I had and to make them more lacy....
They have a better thumb area than the previous ones I'd made.

I also made another tea cosy...

Because of this knitting and crochet I've been doing I had to buy yarn, of course.  There is a knitting shop not far from where I live.  I used to visit this shop with a friend in the 1980s and it was fabulous, the shop was crammed with the most wonderful yarn.  Then in the 1990s knitting went out of fashion and the shop declined.  I remember going one time and it looked as though they would be closing down, there was a very small choice of yarn left.  I visited there the other day and it has improved a lot and the name has changed so I assume it has been taken over by a different owner.....
Isn't it nice that shops are using paper carrier bags again.
This is what I bought, red, pink and black yarn...

Right, who wants to swap a pair of these....
for a fat quarter of fabric?  Here's my email address if you want to have a swap 
SWAP CLOSED

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Ann,they are gorgeous!You have really taken off with the crochet. Knitting shops were everywhere back in the 80's,even dept stores had a well stocked wool section.We had only one wool shop here in the city for years but I notice a slow increase ove rthe last year or two and a couple of fabric stores now sell wool too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann, such pretty crocheting! Love the fingerless gloves and the blue tea cozy! You're just full of creativity! How's your garden doing?
Happy Tuesday! Theanne